Tuesday, December 27, 2011

From my comment on Justin's blog: What makes me happy

I like your list, and each of those points would make me happy,
Also,

1)  Time with family.

2) Holding babies. --(my world becomes filled with love and tenderness)

3)  Following toddlers. --(my world becomes filled with adventure, awe, and humor)

4) Writing. --(It makes me happy, yet is very hard.  Ideas dry up quickly, and I've always given writing fairly low priority.  Very puzzling.  Yet I put out some 7,000 words of technical "writing" a week--and even that offers a form of happiness.)

5) Just being immersed in nature makes me happy.  --I think for me, it is an "Asperger" place where I am exquisitely happy in a nonverbal, very sensual level--beautiful sights, bird and wind songs, touch of sunshine and breeze, smell of Earth.
 
6)  Work with hands. -- I am superbly happy working in a garden, pulling weeds,or cleaning a house.  Some creation of the environment around me is satisfying--and achieving situations where things are beautiful creates a beautiful feeling inside me.

7)  Phone calls with children.  --These are the high points of every week.

8) Spiritual impressions.  --Times that reading the Book of Mormon has been a "multimedia" learning experience have been unforgettable.  Those times have changed my life everlastingly, and they have been the anchors that have kept me in the faith.

9) Relaxing times with friends.  --This is joyful, but rare in my busy life.

10) Finding some self understanding. --Learning that I likely have Aspergers was a freeing, forgiving, becoming comfortable with my life ongoing experience.

11)  Gratitude.  --Slowing my life and trying to record my blessings brings a tenderness and a happiness into my life that isn't there without that practice.

12)  Helping students at school.   --the day is filled with challenge, humor, love, and skill.  Over a little time, resistance is overcome, and we work in a trusting, steady pace.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Love your list. My list would include similar things as yours--family, babies, the spirit, gardens, journals, horses, etc.

    ReplyDelete