I decided to do a blog again because I was following my daughter, Erin's new blog, "Furious Journey." I realized I should set some life goals down in writing--and for the most part I've been puzzled about what they should be. I have no great desire to travel the world, nor to have a late-date challenging career. The enjoy-my-family and live-the-nicest-life-I-can goals were obvious and unwritten.
I saw someone else's list that included a starting a blog and thought, "Yes, I could blog." I used to enjoy it--so here I am.
I'd like to write poetry, but I have some major challenges. The discipline of form is one of them. Therefore, I'm using an old exercise I gave myself: just write 6-word lines. It's a little bit of discipline that I can handle and it forces me to be concise, which is a vital element of poetry.
So, today's entry--may I beat the obvious to a pulp, perhaps? Read no further if you do your own analyzing:
I wanted to capture one of the concepts of the name of my blog: precise, beautiful thoughts can be like crystals. "Thoughts" wasn't exact enough for a 6-word statement, so I chose "prayers." After some thought I liked that because prayers should have some creation to them: we are talking to God, but restructuring ourselves and our dreams. The crystallization process is a methodical gathering of atoms. It is loosely (I need to study the process more) a usually slow, steady, organized building, sorting, arranging of like atoms; and interestingly, it is "an aspect of precipitation" (Wikipedia). Creative thinking, prayer, meditation, or pondering are also times sorting and bringing together what matters to you. Setting a goal should be a process of creation, and hopefully, its realization is orderly (maybe) and beautiful.
I start my six words, with an image of the end result--but the order isn't really backwards because the dream should come first. Work done later materializes the dream.
Wings should be a worn, old image, but I love it. The idea of lifting and being set free is beautiful, and I never tire of it.
The glints from the morning sun are beautiful, but it's not just brightness; it's brightness in motion. It's more evidence that a goal is action--lifting, flashes of light, and inspiration surround the steady work of the beating wing.
Daybreak means something to me. It is a beginning--a time we are empowered by the light. But setting a goal likely has a "night" of creation before daybreak--the time of our crystallized prayers; perhaps a time of "precipitation" where tears come because of something longed for or missing. Reaching the goal wasn't clear at first--we were required to achieve its creation in the "dark." And its beginning phases are challenging.
If the morning sun is brilliant, we squint into it to see the dark-etched black line of the bird with the sun streaking around its outline. Sometimes, not often for me, a goal takes on a life of its own. Like a bird's flight, it may have unexpected sharp turns, deep dips, and sudden acceleration. We may watch it in squinting puzzlement as well as in breathtaking awe. It's our dream; we made it; and yet it has spread and touched others, it flies, it lives!
Saying these concepts as I did in the six words is a bit more concise! Today's goal met! Appreciating word images puts me in a happy place--outdoors, appreciating the sun.
I decided to do a blog again because I was following my daughter, Erin's new blog, "Furious Journey." I realized I should set some life goals down in writing--and for the most part I've been puzzled about what they should be. I have no great desire to travel the world, nor to have a late-date challenging career. The enjoy-my-family and live-the-nicest-life-I-can goals were obvious and unwritten.
ReplyDeleteI saw someone else's list that included a starting a blog and thought, "Yes, I could blog." I used to enjoy it--so here I am.
I'd like to write poetry, but I have some major challenges. The discipline of form is one of them. Therefore, I'm using an old exercise I gave myself: just write 6-word lines. It's a little bit of discipline that I can handle and it forces me to be concise, which is a vital element of poetry.
So, today's entry--may I beat the obvious to a pulp, perhaps? Read no further if you do your own analyzing:
I wanted to capture one of the concepts of the name of my blog: precise, beautiful thoughts can be like crystals. "Thoughts" wasn't exact enough for a 6-word statement, so I chose "prayers." After some thought I liked that because prayers should have some creation to them: we are talking to God, but restructuring ourselves and our dreams. The crystallization process is a methodical gathering of atoms. It is loosely (I need to study the process more) a usually slow, steady, organized building, sorting, arranging of like atoms; and interestingly, it is "an aspect of precipitation" (Wikipedia). Creative thinking, prayer, meditation, or pondering are also times sorting and bringing together what matters to you. Setting a goal should be a process of creation, and hopefully, its realization is orderly (maybe) and beautiful.
I start my six words, with an image of the end result--but the order isn't really backwards because the dream should come first. Work done later materializes the dream.
Wings should be a worn, old image, but I love it. The idea of lifting and being set free is beautiful, and I never tire of it.
The glints from the morning sun are beautiful, but it's not just brightness; it's brightness in motion. It's more evidence that a goal is action--lifting, flashes of light, and inspiration surround the steady work of the beating wing.
Daybreak means something to me. It is a beginning--a time we are empowered by the light. But setting a goal likely has a "night" of creation before daybreak--the time of our crystallized prayers; perhaps a time of "precipitation" where tears come because of something longed for or missing. Reaching the goal wasn't clear at first--we were required to achieve its creation in the "dark." And its beginning phases are challenging.
If the morning sun is brilliant, we squint into it to see the dark-etched black line of the bird with the sun streaking around its outline. Sometimes, not often for me, a goal takes on a life of its own. Like a bird's flight, it may have unexpected sharp turns, deep dips, and sudden acceleration. We may watch it in squinting puzzlement as well as in breathtaking awe. It's our dream; we made it; and yet it has spread and touched others, it flies, it lives!
Saying these concepts as I did in the six words is a bit more concise! Today's goal met! Appreciating word images puts me in a happy place--outdoors, appreciating the sun.