Technically, I agree that God could talk about never and know for sure, but according to LDS scripture, God even says that He means endless as another word for God, not as time. D&C 19:10
One could say we can never get the past back, but I'm not so sure. I know people who believe that Eternity is to literally relive this life. I have wondered if Heaven might not allow one to revisit one's past. In fact, D&C 1 says it will be shown from the rooftops. (a little scary!) But beyond any doubt, we visit the past in our minds and in our hearts. I remember walking holding my toddlers' little, soft hands in mine, for example, so vividly it's nearly in the present.
They say one can never change the past, but I think that the Atonement did.
We can say that we will never forgive, but, again, give it a long, long, long, long, long, time ... and who knows?—hearts can soften. One can feel that they will never be forgiven, but God says otherwise, and the compassion of those around us is really quite remarkable, even though it make take time.
I could say that I'll never be Queen of England--and it would be hard to debate that as truth ... but I could be in my imagination. Anyone believe in alternative realities???
We once said that objects could never travel faster than the speed of light. Now that is being questioned.
We can fairly easily believe that we are experts of what is "never" in this life, but who is to say what the next life brings?
One could conjure some dark meanings of never. I never want to be in the midst of war, for instance. I don't think I'll do that analysis! But on second thought I do have something positive to say (since this is a positive post). Yes, I cannot say that I will never experience something exceptionally horrible, but I believe that religion gives one the tools to overcome and not make it a dark part of one's life.
And returning to the concept of God. I do hold tight to the belief that God will never change, nor never break His promises. But still, that hope comes in a testimony (message from the Holy Ghost), but the proof of it comes from the endless drops of time lived under His loving care.
I guess I am comfortable with both supporting, and undermining, my thesis. (After all, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp! I just like to try to philosophize!)
What's a "never" you would like to disprove sometime in your life?
Technically, I agree that God could talk about never and know for sure, but according to LDS scripture, God even says that He means endless as another word for God, not as time. D&C 19:10
ReplyDeleteOne could say we can never get the past back, but I'm not so sure. I know people who believe that Eternity is to literally relive this life. I have wondered if Heaven might not allow one to revisit one's past. In fact, D&C 1 says it will be shown from the rooftops. (a little scary!) But beyond any doubt, we visit the past in our minds and in our hearts. I remember walking holding my toddlers' little, soft hands in mine, for example, so vividly it's nearly in the present.
They say one can never change the past, but I think that the Atonement did.
We can say that we will never forgive, but, again, give it a long, long, long, long, long, time ... and who knows?—hearts can soften. One can feel that they will never be forgiven, but God says otherwise, and the compassion of those around us is really quite remarkable, even though it make take time.
I could say that I'll never be Queen of England--and it would be hard to debate that as truth ... but I could be in my imagination. Anyone believe in alternative realities???
We once said that objects could never travel faster than the speed of light. Now that is being questioned.
We can fairly easily believe that we are experts of what is "never" in this life, but who is to say what the next life brings?
One could conjure some dark meanings of never. I never want to be in the midst of war, for instance. I don't think I'll do that analysis! But on second thought I do have something positive to say (since this is a positive post). Yes, I cannot say that I will never experience something exceptionally horrible, but I believe that religion gives one the tools to overcome and not make it a dark part of one's life.
And returning to the concept of God. I do hold tight to the belief that God will never change, nor never break His promises. But still, that hope comes in a testimony (message from the Holy Ghost), but the proof of it comes from the endless drops of time lived under His loving care.
I guess I am comfortable with both supporting, and undermining, my thesis. (After all, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp! I just like to try to philosophize!)
What's a "never" you would like to disprove sometime in your life?