A lot of it feels the same as when I was a child. It just seems that I cannot accumulatively learn how to do social interactions better. But getting a diagnosis of Aspergers has been a huge blessing in my life. There are instances when I think it just gives me an excuse for not trying harder, but really that knowledge is just the opposite. It gives me the understanding I need to pick myself up and try again--and to keep trying with compassion for myself and others. It is a gentle, forgiving knowledge.
So, while Aspergers tends not to allow much change in certain ways, and it is just the way it is--I look at it with love and humor. Humor at the irony that I began working with students with Aspergers long before I received my own diagnosis. Humor at the idiosyncrasies of my students. There is much that is endearing about them. Love because I love these kids--and they help me love me.
A lot of it feels the same as when I was a child. It just seems that I cannot accumulatively learn how to do social interactions better. But getting a diagnosis of Aspergers has been a huge blessing in my life. There are instances when I think it just gives me an excuse for not trying harder, but really that knowledge is just the opposite. It gives me the understanding I need to pick myself up and try again--and to keep trying with compassion for myself and others. It is a gentle, forgiving knowledge.
ReplyDeleteSo, while Aspergers tends not to allow much change in certain ways, and it is just the way it is--I look at it with love and humor. Humor at the irony that I began working with students with Aspergers long before I received my own diagnosis. Humor at the idiosyncrasies of my students. There is much that is endearing about them. Love because I love these kids--and they help me love me.